No holiday table is complete without napkins, so why not let your young ones create a holiday napkin holder to brighten your holiday table? This is an inexpensive project that turns an empty food box and some basic craft supplies into a cute and useful centerpiece. Parental supervision required.
What You'll Need:
- An empty paper-board food box, such as a stuffing mix box or a small cereal box
- A napkin
- A ruler
- Construction paper (beige, brown, orange, black, yellow, and red)
- A holiday-themed stencil, up to 3 inches tall (optional)
- Safety scissors
- Glitter (optional)
- Crayons or markersInstructions:
- Pick a side panel on the box to use as the back of the napkin holder. It does not matter which side because it will not show on the finished holiday napkin holder.
- Hold the napkin against the outside of the box's front panel, lining up the box's bottom edge with the napkin's edge.
- Draw an outline of the napkin on the top and front edge of the box.
- Place the ruler so it forms a diagonal line from the upper back corner mark to the front bottom corner. Trace along the ruler's edge.
- Mark the other side of the box the same way then set the napkin aside.
- Cut the box down, using drawn lines on the side panels as cutting guides.
- Cut across the back edge, lining up the cut edges on the side panels.
- Cut across the lower front corner of the box directly on the box's original fold line.
- Line the inside of the box with light-colored construction paper and glue the lining in place.
- Then, wrap the outside of the box with the same light-colored shade of construction paper and glue it down. Allow the glue to dry completely.
- Place the stencil on darker-colored construction paper and trace the stencil's outline or draw an holiday-themed shape free-hand. Make a second copy of the shape.
- Draw or trace other features and details from other colors of construction paper.
- Glue the shape and features on each side of the napkin holder.
- If you want to add glitter, make glue lines around the shape and around each feature and sprinkle glitter into the glue. Allow the glue to dry completely before filling your new holiday napkin holder.
Saturday, November 26, 2011
Holiday Napkin Holder: Easy Children's No-Sew Project
While most of the projects you will find on this site are sewing projects, this one, and a few others to come, are no-sew projects. (Pictures to be added soon for this project.)